|Photo by: birgerking|
According to the Merriam-Webster dictionary, social media is defined as “forms of electronic communication through which users create online communities to share information, ideas, personal messages, and other content”. Although this definition does not mention anything specifically about marketing your business or company, using forms of social media, including Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, LinkedIn, and many more, to create an online community to share your business’s information can be a great way to help achieve success. Today, so many people are using the Internet; why not get your business involved in this revolution?
If you are not completely convinced yet, here are some important reasons to start using social media:
- Have direct interaction with customers. The best type of interaction between businesses and customers is genuine. If businesses stay genuine with its customers, customers will likely respond well the business. Most people prefer businesses that take time to listen and reward customers. Social media is a great way to achieve the type of interaction many customer want.
- It is cheaper than other forms of advertising. Signing up for a Facebook, Twitter, and many other forms of social media is free. Combine this with the fact that it is pretty simple to use and quick to set up, it’s hard to find a reason not to utilize the tools.
- Has the potential for more customers. Millions of people use the internet daily. According to ebizMBA.com, the estimated amount of unique visitors each month for Facebook alone is 750,000,000! Unfortunately, not every single one of those visitors will make it to your company’s page, but if even a small percentage of people using Facebook see your page, your clientele will expand. And, the great thing about Facebook is that when one person likes your page or comments on your post, all of their friends can see that, opening up so many more opportunities every single time you get a new like. Remember, these statistics and facts are strictly for Facebook. Using other forms of social media will enhance your potential for customers even more.
- Become closer to customers and gain their trust. Studies have already shown that customers are more likely to trust a company using social media. According to an article by Curt Finch, 82% of people surveyed said that they are more likely to trust a company who communicates via social media. Trust not only leads to more sales from individuals, but those individuals are more likely to suggest your business to others as well.
- Receive direct feedback and ideas from customers. Social media allows customers and potential customers to communicate directly with the company. If this type of communication is not ignored, businesses can understand what customers are looking for and the types of things that either want or expect from your company. They can also offer their feelings on what the business is currently doing right and wrong. Therefore, improvements and adjustments can be made.
- Directly explain mission of business to customers. Studies also show that individuals are much more likely to buy from a business that directly explains its mission and values via social media, especially when that business’s top officials are involved in social media.
If you are still not convinced, many more rewards and research are out there to prove the importance of social media in businesses. It’s at least worth a shot!